Saturday, July 13, 2013

It's about time...



Daniel and I started dating late July last year...Nope, I don't remember the exact date. Never-the-less, it was a Thursday. The following Saturday, I went over to his parent's house to hang out with him and friends. It was only the second time I had met his parents. In the initial "introductions", we were standing in his parent's foyer, talking about their dog, Skippy.


He's so cute and cuddly!!


This is where I tell you about the word "ornery"...

The word was introduced to me at a very young age, because, let's be honest, it is how my parents describe me quite often! ;)

I had used the word in previous conversations with various individuals, most of whom were not familiar with the word! How that happens, I don't even know...

Back to Skippy and standing in the Potter's foyer...Mrs. Potter mentioned that they taught Skippy how to ring the bell when he wanted to go outside. Adorable right?!?!

So I continued the conversation with an inquiry regarding Daniel and what I knew of him yet. I asked, "So was Daniel ever ornery and ring the bell to make you think it was Skippy?!" Daniel's expression was blank, so I looked at him and asked "Do you know what that word means?" He was speechless and I believe he was laughing on the inside. The kind of laugh that includes the thoughts, "PSH! 'Do I know what that word means?' HAH!" "Does she even know who I am?" "Who does she think she is?"

He couldn't believe I asked him that! As a man of his intellect, he was not insulted, thank goodness, because we probably wouldn't be here right now (hah!), but he was surprised! His vocabulary is larger than most and that is something he is aware of, so for me to wonder if he knew of that word, "ornery", was a personal joke for him!

And that is why we will use the word and then follow it with "Oh, I'm sorry! Do you know what that word means??"




No comments:

Post a Comment